The Upper East Side has remained one of the most affluent neighborhoods in New York City for over a century. This culturally rich neighborhood boasts some of the most popular attractions in the city, especially when seeking out museums and other cultural institutions. As a result, Upper East Side parking can be difficult if you don’t plan ahead.
Whether you’re looking for a parking garage to leave your car at for an extended period of time, or just for a spot on the street for a few hours, this guide offers the best information for finding parking on Manhattan’s Upper East Side. Park smarter after reading our pointers below.
• • •
Cheap Upper East Side Parking Options
Parking on the Upper East Side doesn’t have to break the bank. We have compiled a list highlighting the best Upper East Side parking deals in the table below, so you can compare and find the best parking solution for your visit. Reserving parking online can be an easy solution to your parking dilemma. Services like SpotHero allow drivers to compare parking garages ahead of time and find great deals near their destination.
|Address||Reserve Parking?||Price Range|
|353 E 83rd St.||Book Now!||$16 – 10 day time hours|
|340 E 74th St.||Book Now!||$18 – 10 day time hours|
30 E 85th St.
|Book Now!||$30 – 6 day time hours|
|219 E 69th St.||Book Now!||$17 weekdays -24 hours|
|122 E 60th St.||Book Now!||$35 – any 24 hours|
|340 E 80th St.||Book Now!||$25 – any 12 hours|
|245 E 63rd St.||Book Now!||$27 – any 12 hours|
• • •
Upper East Side Parking Garage Reservations
Explore Upper East Side parking options in the map below and use SpotHero to book a guaranteed spot ahead of time!
• • •
Street Parking Tips for the Upper East Side
- Just like everywhere else in Manhattan, parking on the Upper East Side can be a nightmare. Allow yourself plenty of time to hunt for parking, as it can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to get a good spot. It’s most difficult to find street parking in the lower east 60s, but much easier as you head over to the east 70s, 80s, and 90s.
- Meter parking is free on Sundays in the city. For free street parking other days of the week on the Upper East Side, check out side streets, typically below 96th street. Mornings are the best time of day to find available free street parking.
- Though there are many garages at convenient locations in the area, prices can get shockingly high. Make sure you do your research. You may want to consider reserving a spot in advance to avoid paying steep prices while visiting the Upper East Side.
- Find more on general parking information for all of NYC, such as how to deal with parking violations, monthly parking deals, and annual event parking information.
• • •
Upper East Side Alternate-Side Parking
The Upper East Side, like the rest of Manhattan, is subject to Alt-Side parking. Short for alternate side parking, Alt-Parking is a set of NYC parking regulations that allow for frequent street cleanings and therefore parking restrictions. Frequently, one side of the street is restricted, and the other is not, hence the Alt-Side restriction. Most areas with enforced alt-side parking are physically marked by a sign that features a red “P” that is crossed out by a broom. All areas marked as alt-side parking are subject to suspension for holidays and emergencies, but parking is typically restricted for varying 3 hour time periods. Therefor residents are forced to move their car every few days, making alt-side parking a source of frustration throughout Manhattan.
Be mindful of Alt-Parking that is modified daily. Manhattan tow trucks work quickly, so be sure to check @NYCASP, NYCTDOTs twitter feed for an update on Alt-Parking restrictions by zone. Read the NYCDOTs ASP holiday calendar here.
• • •
Upper East Side Monthly Parking
If parking is a constant hinderance, you may want to consider purchasing a monthly parking spot. Monthly rates are much more discounted than daily, and worth the price to avoid stress and save valuable time. SpotHero is a recommended parking platform that compares rates and locations allowing you to select the best option.
|Address||Reserve Parking?||Price Range|
|304 E 95th St.||Book Now!||$375 – Monthly|
|400 E 71st St.||Book Now!||$ 450 – Monthly|
|434 E 80th St.||Book Now!||$500 – Monthly|
Upper East Side Resident Parking Permits
- If you are an Upper East Side resident that lives in a building without valet, you probably get frustrated by the lack of street parking available. Despite popular demand, there are no residential parking permits for able bodied individuals. The positive? Street parking is FREE for everyone, not just residents. Unless there is signage or meters explicitly dictating restrictions, most street parking is fair game.
- Doormen representing buildings with the highest price tags will make an effort to deter you from parking your car in front, however, most parking is legal! Unless there is signage with restrictions explicitly stated from the City. Read more about Doormen on the Upper East Side here if you’re curious.
Upper East Side Park-and-Ride
Park-and-Ride provides safe and convenient parking locations for commuters to park their car close to home in order to transfer to public transportation. For easy access into NYC, park-and-ride lots can be found along Metro-North Commuter Rail lines as well as the Long Island Rail Road. Spots are usually free on a first come first serve basis.
• • •
Upper East Side Parking Lots and Garages
View the map below for a list of off-street parking lots and garages on the Upper East Side. Expand the map to find more options outside of the neighborhood.
• • •
Parking Near Upper East Side Attractions
Central Park Zoo Parking
The Central Park Zoo is great for all animal lovers in the family. See penguins and polar bears, snow monkeys and pandas, and watch the sea lion eat, all while tropical birds fly around as you walk through the scenic animal habitats. There’s even a petting zoo, the Tisch Children’s Zoo, where the kids can feed and pet the animals.
For parking near Central Park Zoo click here.
Whitney Museum of American Art Parking
Get embroiled with 20th century and contemporary art of the US at the
Whitney Museum of American Art. Here, you will find extraordinary works of many emerging artists. Featuring more than 19,000 works by more than 2,900 artists, the Whitney Museum of American Art is well known for its signature exhibition, the Whitney Biennial, which has become the most important collection of US contemporary art.
For parking near Whitney Museum click here.
Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum Parking
You’ll be awestruck even before you step in the doors at the Guggenheim Museum.The eccentric nautilus style architecture, designed by Franklin Lloyd Wright, has become quite the landmark in New York’s Upper East Side. Here, you can peruse galleries featuring French impressionists and post impressionists, such as Van Gogh, Matisse, and Cezanne and a strong collection of Wassily Kandinsky. The museum is open Sunday through Wednesday and Friday from 10am – 5:45pm, and on Saturday from 10am-7:45pm. The museum normally costs $22, however on Saturdays they have a “pay-as-you-wish” slot between 5:45-7:45pm, making the museum accessible even to the underserved populations.
For parking near the Guggenheim Museum click here.
Mount Vernon Hotel Museum and Garden Parking
Take a guided tour of one of the oldest buildings in Manhattan. Fully furnished with items from the 1800s, the New York City Fire Museum was originally constructed as a carriage house 1799, transformed into a hotel in 1826, and then as a private residence in 1834. Travel back into time and see where New Yorkers would find a peaceful respite. Open Tuesdays through Saturdays, from 11am to 4pm.
For parking near the Mount Vernon Hotel Museum and Garden Click here.
Roosevelt Island Parking
Hop the tram over to The Roosevelt Island and wander around what seems like a ghost town. You might get the creeps as you pass the haunted abandoned insane asylums, hospitals, and prisons. The whole island is only 2.5 miles long. Enjoy walking around and rest your feet at Four Freedoms Park, while enjoying breathtaking views of Manhattan.
Book Discounted Book parking near the tram to Roosevelt Island here.
• • •
Upper East Side Parking Resources
- SpotHero – Find and reserve parking in advance with this free on-demand parking app.
- MonthlyParking– Check out this resource for Upper East Side monthly parking options
- SmoothParking– See patterns and trends for Upper East Side parking availability by street
- MTA – Manages transit in NYC and surrounding areas.
- Parknav – Helps parkers find the best street parking with real-time predictive data.
- Parkopedia – Browse street and off-street parking rates with an interactive map.