Few landmarks, like Katz’s Delicatessen remain that are indicative of the Lower East Side’s historically Jewish stronghold. Today, the Lower East Side is known to be ahead of the curve, boasting plentiful nightlife and culture. Whether you’re grabbing drinks at night or touring Jewish deli’s by day, finding parking on the Lower East Side can be challenging.
This guide hosts information regarding street, garage, and metered parking. Due to the popularity of the Lower East Side, we recommend booking parking ahead of time, to ensure efficiency and a guaranteed spot.
• • •
Lower East Side Online Parking Reservations
Explore Lower East Side parking options in the map below and use SpotHero to book a guaranteed space ahead of time!
• • •
4 Best Lower East Side Parking Garage Rates
1. 24 Columbia Street – Park in this covered garages for $17
2. 275 Delancey Street – Park at this covered garage right on Delancey Street for $17
3. 70 Monroe Street – Park at this covered garage for $16, also offers multiple day parking
4. 89 Chrystie Street – Park at this valet garage just Northwest of the center of the LES for $15
• • •
Lower East Side Parking Tips
Like most of New York, Lower East Side parking is no easy feat. You have to know the inside scoop and how to keep up with the pace of NYC. That’s why you’re lucky to have NYC Parking Authority to help!
The Lower East Side has ample unmetered street parking, if you know where to look. You may want to hunt in the areas between East 4th Street and 14th Street, just east of 3rd Avenue. During weekdays, it is easier to find Lower East Side parking further east, while on the weekends, good parking can be found in the west. Also, most of the metered parking is located in the west of the Lower East Side. The closer to Williamsburg Bridge, the harder it is to find parking. Pay attention to street cleaning hours by looking for the posted signs with the red “P” inside of a circle and crossed by a broom, that indicates Alt-Side street parking, which you can read more about below.
Lower East Side Street Parking Rates:
- Grand Avenue and Essex Street offer 2 hour metered parking in the evenings after 5pm.
- Rates: Monday through Saturday , $3.50/hour or 50₵ for 10 minutes. Meters are not in effect on Sundays. Pay attention to the parking duration and times listed on the meter.
- Most meters end after 7pm and then become free parking, but be sure to read all signs, because this can vary per location.
Alternate side parking is a set of restrictions imposed throughout all of the metro New York City area. True to its name, alternate side parking requires that the entire side of the street be clear for street cleaning. Restrictions change on a daily pattern requiring the side being cleaned to alternate, hence the name. Majority of the Lower East Side is subject to Alt-Side parking, so pay attention to signage!
Most areas with enforced alt-side parking are physically marked by a sign that features a red “P” that is crossed out by a broom. All areas marked as alt-side parking are subject to suspension for holidays and emergencies, but typically are on restricted for varying 3 hour time periods.
Be mindful of Alt-Parking that is modified daily. Manhattan tow trucks work quickly, so be sure to check @NYCASP, NYCTDOTs twitter feed for an update on Alt-Parking restrictions by zone.
• • •
Lower East Side Parking Resources
- SpotHero – book discounted Lower East Side parking online in advance by comparing parking rates and locations
- Delancey and Essex Municipal Garage – read customer reviews of the Delancey and Essex Municipal Garage on Yelp
- Yelp – read customer reviews of various Lower East Side parking garages
- Standard Parking/Central Parking – this national parking company offers parking in four Lower East Side parking garages
- CitiDex – view a list of Lower East Side parking lots and garages with their addresses and contact information